On request (99033)
Director of Operations
Executive Leader – COO / EVP/ VP of Operations
Global Operations Management | Big Picture | Business Growth & Transformation
Purposeful operations executive with an entrepreneurial spirit and over 15 years of experience implementing operational and business development strategies that increase profitability and significantly improve P&L scenarios. Adaptable and flexible with a proven record of turning around underperforming areas of the company. Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, financial targets, standards, and internal controls that improve efficiency and effectiveness. An inspirational and approachable leader who engages and partners cross-functionally to motivate and drive productivity while building solid business relationships. Bilingual: Spanish
Strategic Planning & Execution • Operations Management • Change Management • Crisis Planning • Turnarounds • Merger & Acquisitions (M&A) • Strategic Marketing • Brand Management • Business Expansion • Business Development • Fiscal Management • Inventory Management • Global Supply Chain • Logistics • Regulatory Compliance • Contracting • Negotiating • Asset Management • Vendor/Client Relations • Leadership • Coaching & Mentoring • P&L Responsibility.
Cruise Services, Airports & Seaports
Global travel retailer, USA
Aug 2016 – Present
Reporting to Division Chief Executive Officer, leading the general management of +100 retail stores and operations in seven countries with over $200M in revenue and total Profit and Loss (P&L) accountability. Oversee the day-to-day operations strategy, structure, and processes, including elaborating commercial budgets, business plans, execution, and performance. Lead an organization of over five hundred (500) employees, coaching and mentoring a team of 10 direct reports, including Country GMs, Commercial Managers, Finance Managers, Business Intelligence, Human Rosources, and Supply Chain.
· Developing and implementing overall business strategies and plans for the company, including marketing, sales, and operations.
· Analyzing market trends and customer data to make informed decisions about product offerings, pricing, and marketing strategies.
· Supporting the company's growing digitalization opportunities through the implementation of a loyalty program, pre-order purchases, in-store communication, mobile technology for in-store purchases, and data analytics.
· Building and managing relationships with suppliers, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure the company has access to the best products and services at competitive prices.
· Developing and managing budgets for the company and individual store locations, ensuring profitability and cost efficiency.
· Leading and motivating teams of employees to achieve business objectives and exceed customer expectations.
· Managed Covid-19 Crisis. Reduced fixed expenses by 50% negotiating with property owners to suspend, ease, and cancel rent payments. Secured cash, renegotiating terms and conditions with vendors and suppliers. Implemented workforce strategies, including the permanent reduction in 50% personnel expenses (PEX) at the back-office level and 25% on the sales floor, reducing costs.
· Defined a new business model implementing SAP, rationalizing assortments based on best sellers, reducing inventory, and focusing on marketing strategies and operations.
· Managed the project of off-loading $42M in merchandise, more than 60% of the total, from three (5) cruise lines and 30 ships located around the world.
· Re-opened two cruise lines and 13 ships post-pandemic with a breakeven P&L at 50% occupancy, turning around a non-profitable business.
· Transformed the P&L for Cruise Services, improving margins, cost reduction, and growth in spending per passenger resulting in over 114% in operating profit as of April 2022 versus a negative 64% in 2019 sales.
· Acquired the USA Cruise Services operations in April 2020, transitioning the $60M retail operations from six (6) countries and 15 stores to seven (7) countries and +100 stores with $200M in revenues.
· Expanded the spend per passenger (SPP) for Trinidad by 10% despite the 3% reduction in passengers by reducing the loss at the sales level throughout Commercial and Marketing strategies.
· Improved Jamaica’s previous year (PY) sales by 9% and 22% in EBITDA in 2017.
· Increased the PY 2017 EBITDA for Caribbean Seaports by 513.6% and 13.3% sales.
· Negotiated and attained contract extensions for the Trinidad Airport and several of our seaports operations.
· Expanded the commercial offering in Jamaica from four (4) to nine (9) retail spaces.
Retail Operations Manager Latin America Division
Global travel retailer, Miami, FL
Mar 2015 – Jul 2016
Transitioned from supply chain to operations offering corporate-level support and training to more than 103,000 m², over 380 shops in twenty-six (26) countries with over $1.8B in revenue. Planned, directed, coordinated, and oversaw operations activities, ensuring the development and implementation of efficient processes and cost-effective systems meeting the organization’s needs.
· Ensured smooth coordination between global and regional commercial teams implementing and customizing global standards, best practices, and projects at a regional level.
· Implemented operational policies and standards, including Human Resources (HR) across business units, ensuring the optimization of resources for continuous organization and growth.
Director Supply Chain Logistics Central America, Mexico & Caribbean
Global travel retailer, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Apr 2013 – Feb 2015
Managed and coordinated the supply chain operations for this Dufry-owned jewelry distribution center ensuring efficiency and effectiveness. Led a team of 22-27 employees while managing the distribution center’s inventory for sixty-seven (67) locations throughout the western hemisphere, from the Eastern Caribbean to Mexico, and on board the Norwegian Cruise Line. Accountable for the monthly and annual inventory budget consisting of a monthly distribution center (DC) average of $6M and $55M in the stores, between assets and consignment merchandise, supporting $75M in annual retail sales.
· Oversaw and offered continued support to Uruguay DC in a dual role for several months during the transition of the North & Latin America business relocation.
· Reorganized the operations implementing inventory processes and procedures that resulted in the reduction of out-of-stock levels and optimization of quality.
· Employed a replenishment concept based on a reactive method (Min/Max) to control the inventory through purchases and demand for all 67 locations.
Supply Chain Director North & Latin America
Global travel retailer, Miami, FL
Feb 2010 – Feb 2014
Relocated to duplicate the success in Spain streamlining organizational processes and use of resources. Managed and coordinated the order processing, internal customer service, and supply & demand functions of the Logistics Department for North America, Caribbean, and South America leading a team of fifteen employees locally, consisting of three managers and twelve (12) planners, while having a dotted line to the corresponding Supply & Demand teams in each country. Held accountable for a retail inventory average of $100M monthly and annual sales of $800M from the North America, Caribbean, and South America regions.
· Realized new policies and procedures for the three (3) supply chain departments resulting in the reorganization of the operations, reduced out-of-stock, and improved fulfillment, service, and sales.
· Spearheaded and oversaw the transition of the North & Latin America business relocation to Uruguay.
· Hired and trained a team of 15 in Uruguay to support the relocation of the business.
Customs & Logistics Manager
Global travel retailer, Tenerife, Spain
Jun 2007 – Feb 2010
Recruited as the company was looking to establish itself in a new territory. Tasked with managing, reorganizing, and replenishing the warehouse, including the movement of merchandise, and purchasing. Supervised and managed warehouse activities, including incoming orders. Managed the company’s relationship with the Customs Authorities and was responsible for all customs clearance, presentations, and tax declarations.
· Updated all records and books, bringing everything into compliance with customs.
· Defined parameters and targets and set up an internal replenishment tool.
· Placed internal inventory control replenishment and purchasing process minimizing out-of-stock.
Custom Broker & General Manager South Tenerife Airport
Custom Agency, Tenerife, Spain
Dec 2004 – Jun 2007
Functioned as the owner’s agent representing the company legally while overseeing all aspects of the business, including import and export customs clearance, and processing Unique Customs Documents (DUAs) through the EDI customs process. Built and managed relationships with airport authorities such as customs, central and local government, and compliance inspectors.
· Employed operational policies and procedures that became a standard across three offices within the company.
· Built relationships with key personnel, making the expedition of documents to move products more efficiently and timely.